Anonymity is not a choice. It is a need. Period.
In 2018, when so many companies are trying to get their hands on our private data, using VPN servers to browse internet has become essential for all users. This is even more important for those users who deal with financial data online. Almost 3.7 billion people use mobile to connect to the internet and almost 61 percent households in USA alone have wifi. This means they are connected to the internet using a network. Most networks today are using PPTP that isn’t secure and anyone having the right tools can gain admin access.
That’s where the use of VPN service comes in. They encrypted the information through AES 256 bit encryption and also improve the server speed by connecting to those that are nearest to the site’s server location.
Although VPNs have become so much easier to setup that anyone can do it with just a few clicks, people are still reluctant to use them because of the technicalities involved. We have tried to make the whole VPN installation process easier by showing how users can use Windows 10 built in vpn.
Does Windows 10 built in VPN Work?
With all the benefits of a VPN, it would be unnatural if Windows 10 doesn’t offer a VPN service. So, let’s see what it has to offer for its users.
Windows does realize the importance of VPN service and that’s why it has made it easier for its users to setup a VPN connection. Here is how they can easily do it.
Setting a profile on in Windows 10 VPN
You will need to create a VPN profile before you can connect to a Windows 10 built in VPN. For this purpose, you will need a work profile or a company’s VPN connection. Once you have the VPN profile setup, add a VPN connection to network and internet.
- To do so, simply open the Network and Internet settings > VPN > Add a VPN connection.
- Once you have the clicked the Add a VPN connection, select Windows (built-in) for VPN provider.
A connection box will open up, here add internet name ‘My VPN connection.’ You will use these settings to connect to the VPN.
- Now, add your username and password and click save.
- To edit the VPN connection settings, right click on the VPN connection and select advanced options.
Connecting to the Windows 10 VPN
Now that your profile is ready, it is time you connect to the VPN server. Select Network icon from the start bar. Select the VPN icon and click on connect. If you are prompted for a password, type the password (check the remember checkbox) and click connect.
Note: The VPN settings won’t work unless you have subscribed to a VPN service. Read on to know how to install a VPN service or connect to a VPN service on Windows 10.
How to install/setup PPTP Windows 10 VPN
There are many types of VPN windows 10 connections available. PPTP has average security but it is mostly used due to its easy connectivity on Windows 10. We will be using ExpressVPN VPN and PPTP connection type to connect from Windows 10 to a VPN server.
- First of all, subscribe to the ExpressVPN server. You can buy any package they offer. Once you have the username, password, and server address, get started.
- Enter your account on the Express VPN website. You will receive an activation code and the option to download the VPN to Windows or to another device. Select ‘Setup and More Devices’
You will see a screen like this. Select Manual Config and then select PPTP & L2TP-IPSec tab on the right. Save this information somewhere safe. You will need it in the next step.
Adding a PPTP VPN Connection on Windows
First click on the network icon on the start bar in Windows 10. If you have a WiFi connection, the icon will look like this.
In case of an Ethernet connection, the icon will appear like this.
Right click on them and select network settings.
On the left-side menu, you will see ‘VPN’ settings. Click on ‘Add a VPN Connection’
Now fill the necessary details as we have described in the first part of our article ‘Setting a VPN profile on Windows 10.’
If you are unsure how to configure VPN windows 10, here are the details.
- VPN provider: Windows (built it)
- Connection name: Name of your choice
- Server address: Check ExpressVPN email
- VPN type: PPTP protocol
- Username and password: Check ExpressVPN email
How to setup/install OpenVPN on windows 10
Next, let’s see how to download and install OpenVPN VPN protocol for connecting to internet. OpenVPN is a lot secure than PPTP connection type. It requires a configuration file to install and work. We will be using the Hide.me VPN service to show you this tutorial.
So, here is how to do it.
- Run the setup and follow the installation steps to install OpenVPN on Windows 10 PC. You may get a security message, simply click Continue to let it complete the setup installation.
- Next, download the configuration file. Unzip it. Now, add you credentials within the configuration file and copy it to the folder: C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/config/ and confirm the Windows security messages.
- After installation the icon of OpenVPN software will show up on your Desktop. Simply right click it. Click on ‘Settings’ and ‘Compatibility.’ Now select ‘Run the program as administrator.’
- Click with right on the OpenVPN desktop icon, click on “Settings” and go to the tab “Compatibility”. Check “Run the program as administrator”.
- Now, right click on the system tray icon of OpenVPN and click on connect. You are now connected to the Hideme VPN service.
You can check if the connection is using Hide.me server here.
How to setup IKEv2/IPSec Windows 10 VPN
Now that we know how to connect with Windows 10 using PPTP connection, we will discuss setup of IKEv2/IPSec VPN on Windows 10. For this purpose, we have used NordVPN. NordVPN offers IKEv2/IPSec connection protocol because of its strong security.
The IKEv2/IPSec protocol requires Windows 10 to have security certificates installed. So, let’s download NordVPN certificate on Windows. You can download these certificates from NordVPN root directory.
The .der file can be opened on Windows, so simply run it and click install. This will install the security certificate on your system.
Once the ‘store location’ menu appears, select ‘Local Machine’ and then click next.
Next, select ‘Place all certificates…’ and then click on browse.
Select “Trusted Root Certification Authorities”, to install all certificates in this folder. This will install the certificate on Windows.
Now, let’s move to the next step of configuring NordVPN on Windows.
Setup IKEv2/IPSec VPN on Windows
To configure NordVPN on Windows, open Network and Internet settings.
Select ‘Set up a new connection or network.’ Next, click on ‘Connect to a workplace.’
Create a new internet connection using ‘Use my Internet connection (VPN).’
You will now see that a new icon is available within the network connection folder.
Now, that the VPN service is available. Open NordVPN server. You can choose from multiple servers available with your VPN service provider – in our case it is NordVPN.
Let’s connect to the server. Open Network settings again and right click the VPN icon that we created. Select properties and then security tab.
Enter the following details for the server settings:
- Type of VPN: IKEv2
- Data encryption: Require encryption (disconnect if server declines
- Authentication: Use Extensible Authentication Protocol(EAP)and EAP-MSCHAPv2
Open network icon and click on ‘Connect’ to see if the VPN service works. Now, sign into NordVPN with your credentials.
How to install/setup cisco vpn client windows 10
If you have upgraded to Windows 10, or having a clean install, here is how you can use cisco vpn client windows 10.
- First of all clean your system of any antivirus or disk cleaning utility. Defragment your hard drive if you haven’t done already.
- Next, install SonicWall VPN on your system. SonicWall installs the DNE service that makes Cisco compatible with Windows 10.
- Now download the Cisco VPN utility on your system and install it.
- You may need to apply the regedit fix. Here is how to do that. Open regedit in Windows. Now, browse to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA
Select ‘Display Name’ and modify it
Change from “@oem8.ifn,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to “Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”
- Now reboot your PC so that new registry entry can take its place. Now run cisco vpn client windows 10 and you will be able to connect with the VPN service without any problem.
How to disconnect and remove windows 10 VPN
Removing a VPN service in Windows 10 is quite easy. Simply go to Windows settings. You can either go to the tab through Control Panel or through the search bar.
Once inside, click on the VPN network that you want to delete.
Click on the Remove button and it will delete the VPN server.
You can go to Network & Internet connections. The fastest way to go to this tab is by right clicking the system tray icon of network and selecting ‘Open Network & Sharing Center.’
Now, select the VPN server that you want to delete.
That’s it. The VPN will be deleted from the network connections.
Windows 10 VPN issues & errors
Everything has issues from time to time and VPNs are no different. These are soft machines and can get corrupted. So, here are some frequent windows 10 vpn issues and their solutions.
Why is Windows 10 VPN Not Working?
This can be because of many reasons. For starters, see if the server you are trying to connect with is active. You need to also check that VPN software that you have downloaded is working properly. If not, reinstall the VPN service.
Also, install network drivers to make sure that the VPN will work. If you are still not able to connect to the respective VPN server, then delete your previous Windows VPN profile and create a new one.
VPN not working after Windows 10 Update
In some cases, after a Windows update users are not able to run the VPN service. This happens because the new update doesn’t work with the network drivers. When this happens, simply update the Windows WAN miniport driver.
Here is how to do that:
Open device manager and expand the Network Adapter section.
Next, click on WAN miniport driver and uninstall it.
Restart your system. Now, go back to Network adapter settings in device manager. It will show with an exclamation mark. Now, reinstall it.
Try running your VPN. We hope this solved the windows 10 vpn issue.
What are VPN Error Codes 732, 734, 812, 806, 835, 766?
The VPN error codes signify a specific problem with your system. You can see the complete list of VPN error codes for Windows 10 here.